Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Carson McCullers

“Listen,” F. Jasmine said. “What I’ve been trying to say is this. Doesn’t it strike you as strange that I am I, and you are you? I am F. Jasmine Addams. And you are Berenice Sadie Brown. And we can look at each other, and touch each other, and stay together year in and year out in the same room. Yet always I am I, and you are you. And I can’t ever be anything else but me, and you can ever be anything else but you. Have you ever thought of that? And does it seem to you strange? ”
― Carson McCullers, Member Of The Wedding
Mo teen described as thrill killerJEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — A Missouri teenager who confessed to murdering a young neighbor girl faces the possibility of life in prison when she's sentenced Wednesday morning. Alyssa Bustamante, 18, was described by prosecutors as a thrill killer who lacked remorse and by defense attorneys as a disturbed child who deserved the chance to be set free one day. The trial's conclusion follows days of testimony in a small courtroom in Missouri's capital city. Proceedings descended into chaos Tuesday as prosecutor Mark Richardson was making an impassioned, final plea for a lifelong sentence for Bustamante, who pleaded guilty to murdering 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten in October 2009. - DAVID A. LIEB

“The human capacity to injure other people has always been greater than its ability to imagine other people,”
- Elaine Scarry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.