Monday, February 14, 2011

Conserved Melon

I wonder where it is?



Love Song of Alice B.

I caught sight of a splendid Misses.
She had handkerchiefs and kisses.
She had eyes and yellow shoes
she had everything to choose
and she chose me.

In passing through France
she wore a Chinese hat and so did I.
In looking at the sun she read a map. And so did I.
In eating fish and pork she just grew fat. And so did I.
In loving a blue sea she had pain. And so did I.
In loving me she of necessity thought first. And so did I.

How prettily we swim. Not in water. Not on land.
But in love.

How often do we need trees and hills. Not often.
And how often do we need birds. Not often.
And how often do we need wishes. Not often.
And how often do we need glasses not often.

We drink wine and we make well
we have not made yet.

How often do we need a kiss. Very often
and we add when tenderness overwhelms us
we speedily eat veal.

And what else, ham and a little pork
and raw artichokes and ripe olives
and chester cheese and cakes and caramels
and all the melon.
We still have a great deal left.
I wonder where it is.
Conserved melon.
Let me offer it to you.

-Gertrude Stein (1874-1946)

Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.